Core Parts of IoT
To help you better understand the workings of this IoT ecosystem; let’s have a look at an application of IoT in Water Supply Network Automation:
1. A flow sensor network installed on the water supply line will be integrated with the gateway. Gateway helps to connect the flow sensor network (things) to the Internet through Cloud infrastructure.
2. Cloud/server possesses the detailed records about the each and every device connected to it – device id, current status of the device, who has accessed the device last time, how many times the device has been accessed and more.
3. Connection with the cloud is implemented using web services such as HTTP service.
4. End-users like you and me interact with Cloud (and monitor devices installed in system) through the application. Request will be sent to the cloud with the authentication and device information. Authentication is configured to ensure cyber security.
5. Cloud will identify the device with the help of the device id and will send the corresponding request to the appropriate sensor network using gateways.
6. Then, the flow sensor will read the current flow the water supply line will and will send the response back to the cloud.
7. Cloud will identify the particular user who has requested the data and push the requested data to the application. So user will get the current information directly on his screen.